21 de set. de 2010

The Hunchback of Notre-Dame

"I cannot hate you. I love you! "cries the priest.
"What kind of love is this?" the girl shouts. 
"It's a painful, secret love. It has destroyed my life. Before I met you, I was happy."
"And I was, too!" says Esmeralda.
(...)
"But then one day, when I was in my tower, I heard your music in the square below. I looked out and saw you - the most beautiful thing in the world. I watched, and I was lost. My books held no interest. The cathedral became a prison. I wanted only to see you, to touch you, to love you."
"From that day, I was a different man.When I opened a book, I saw your face. I went into the cathedral, and I heard your voice. I followed you because I cannot live without you. I waited for you on street corners. I watched you from the top of my tower. Every day I became crazier with the idea of you in my head."
"Then one I heard that soldier say your name. He laughed and joked about you. I followed him, and you know the rest."
"Oh, my Phoebus!" Esmeralda cries softly.
"Don't say that name. He didn't love you. He didn't even know your name. Look at me! I was with you in the courtroom. I saw you on the torturer's table. You suffered, but do you understand my torture? I watched you smile at that stupid soldier in that dirty room. I watched him touch you and kiss you. He wanted to use you and throw you away. But I love you and I can help you. They'll hang you tomorrow, but I can stop them. You can live. Touch my hand. Follow me out of this prison. Learn to love me. Learn to forgive me. Please! Please!"
(...)
"But I love you!" cried the priest. "I have lost everything because of you, but still you hate me."
Claude Frollo was crying now. He hung his head and tears ran down his sad face.
"Because of you. Because of you," he repeated quietly. Then he remembered where he was. "You've seen me cry, but you feel nothing for me. I don't want to see you die. Give me one kind word and I'll save you. Say you want to love me."

Nenhum comentário:

Postar um comentário